Here’s 5 of our favorite tips we’ve gathered over the years to assist you in getting the most from your Business Transaction Monitoring solution:
- Start out by identifying your key transactions and Services. Be selective. Too much noise in terms of data and alerts can be detrimental. Focus on actionable information, not just data for the sake of data.
- Identify the key metrics associated with the transactions operational characteristics. For example, does the daily or weekly volumes vary. How does Service Delivery Performance change in relation to the time of day or week or month? Are usage spikes normal due to an announcement or external event?
- Start small, start simple. A big bang approach will likely fail as it will be seen as too disruptive, or providing too much data. Similarly, a complex initial approach may be seen as too disruptive.
- Most importantly, design an action plan for each alert you may receive.
- Finally, decide what the key success factors are in advance, and regularly measure your BTM usage against the success factors.
If you’ve any tips or tricks you’d like to share, please leave a comment.